Horse racing has a rich history and has been growing in popularity over the past few years. The actual races are fun to watch, so you should make a point of visiting the tracks. You can also choose to bet on virtual horse racing online sports. These are designed to resemble real horse races, but they are short and happen frequently. Betting on horses can be fun and profitable, but you need to understand the bets and odds.
How to Bet on Horses
There are many different types of horse racing bets. If you are a beginner, you should go for straight stakes since they are straightforward and very cheap. In these options, you will only be able to bet on a single horse. Here are some straight bets you can make:
- Win- With this bet, you will be able to select the horse that will come in the first place. This option usually has a very high payout.
- Place- This option allows you to choose a horse that will come in first or second place. Because of the higher chances of winning, you can expect a lower payout than the win bet.
- Show- With this option, you will be able to select a horse that will come in first, second, or third place. The payout for this bet is lower than that of the place bet. The advantage of this bet is that it gives you a higher chance of winning.
- Across the board- You can also choose to place all these three bets at the same time. This option is quite expensive. If your horse wins, you will collect the prize for the win bet, place bet, and show bet. If it comes in second place, you will receive the reward for the place and show stakes. If it comes in third place, you will only collect the payout for the show bet. This is not usually a good bet since it is expensive.
You can also choose to make a bet on your horse winning or coming in second place. Similarly, you can make a place and show bet at the same time. These bets are similar to the across the board bet, except for the lower cost.
Besides the straight bets, you can consider making exotic wagers on horse races. These bets are ideal for seasoned gamblers since they are complicated. If you don’t understand them well, you can end up losing a lot of money. Here are some of the exotic wagers:
- Exacta- This option allows you to bet on specific horses that will come in first and second place. These bets can be highly profitable. It is worth noting that you will only win if the two horses take the exact place you predicted.
- Quinella- This bet is similar to the exacta bet, except that the two horses can take any of the first two places.
- Trifecta- With this option, you will get to choose three horses that will make the first three places. These horses have to take the specific places you specify in your bet.
- Superfecta- In this bet, you will choose four horses that will win in one particular order.
It is possible to bet on the three or four horses to win in any order, but that will cost you more money.
Horse Betting Tips
You should pick your winning horses carefully. The most important factor to consider when selecting a winning horse is its past performances on a specific surface type. Some horses will perform better on dirt tracks while others will prefer grassy surfaces. It is also vital to consider the history of the jockey. Some jockeys are talented to the extent that they will win regardless of the horse they are with.
As a beginner, you should stick to bets with lower payouts. These bets are easier to win, and they will help you learn how to bet successfully. With some experience, you will be able to make the highly profitable trifecta and exacta bets.
Horse racing can be thrilling and highly exciting. These races can significantly increase your wealth. You should carefully select your winning horses by following the sports betting tips above. Also, remember to stick to straight bets until you gain some experience in this sport.